Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Exhibition: Mexico

I went to the Mexico exhibit way back when, I'm just now writing about it. first, I was coming from Beat Research, and we were there to listen to the Cumbia music that they were playing. I guess Cumbia music is a mixture of Mexican and Mexican/ American Latino dance music. It was definitely cool, you could hear it all the way from public safety! there was a woman/ Mexican woman, she was lovely, and she was lost. I was in Tower about to make my way through the maze over to South Hall. So I took her with me. it was funny, she kept saying how she never would have been able to find it otherwise.

So the exhibit was all of this poster art/ paintings and public art that people just create in Mexico, I thought it was awesome because there were so many different ways, or subjects in which people were expressing themselves they seemed to be responding to their environments, and there were some pretty famous characters displayed. It was interesting because the copy write laws there are slim to none, so drawing these characters in a public forum wasn't a problem.

I loved the WWII aspect to the art. It was like the movie posters and propagannda posters from the 40's that are so wonderfully vintage. But then you would see these raw-ish type paintings that were almost like graffiti art, in fact they are graffiti art. I thought the whole exhibit was great, great vibe, atmosphere, food and drink (which was free) and color.

No comments: