Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Process Critique thoughts and plans

I think I need to stop.
I think I need to assess what it is that I was not enjoying about paint. It's probably the thought of premeditated color placement. I drew it all out and then started painting. My group was right, I think I made it like a chore for myself. thats NOT the point at all. I do think however that painting in 2 of my classes is not a good idea. I didn't major in painting for a reason.

So, what we all talked about was, what do i want to do that I might have more fun with. I agree with definitely trying my hand with paint again later, but for the moment, I have an urge to create patterns. Now i know that i could be walking that fine line of "too much control could kill the piece", but I am proposing to bring the patterns into 3 dimensional space. not just seem as though they move into 3D with angle ing, but to actually start moving it out, gradually.

I am thinking that I would like to do a large/medium sized painting that reflects in a general way, static or data. It represents a civilized world of intellect and academia. Then I would like to hammer in nails in a grid-like fashion and start to create patterns using yarn, different colored yarn woven around the nails creating the shapes. I am kind of excited by this piece, because I love that I am interacting more with the piece, that way it will be more like an extension of myself. which is why I do art in the first place.

I still love the size that Cecily Brown uses in her paintings, and it has been a source of inspiration, so I am not totally deviating from the assignment.

No comments: