Monday, September 24, 2007

inspired...



I saw Cecily Brown's work last year, but it was not until this moment that i felt as though i needed to create a large-scale painting like the ones she does. It was also not until this moment that I realized she does a lot more than paint. she changes the properties of oil paint and kind of like a bear in a circus, gets it to stand up and do tricks you never knew it could do. I am naturally more of a watercolorist, but I have been appreciating oil paints more and more lately. I have a painting class, and we have used nothing but oils, so I'm developing my bond with oils as we speak.

what I want to do is have 3 large panels (8'x3') each. I can make wooden frames and ask a painting teacher to help me stretch it. I need to find colossal linen sizes. I also only want to use putty knives and plaster trowels. I feel better about paint when it doesn't have to look like a photograph. Brushes make me feel strangely about paint. they change the whole experience for me.

anyway, here are a couple of my favorite pieces by her.

2 comments:

jocbrown said...

I love that you are going to expand your technique in a larger scale, and with a different medium. One thing I have noticed you haven't tried yet is to literally throw down the paint. Don't be scared to experience the process of layering thick globs of paint..if you use your fingers (so you don't have to use brushes or a knife) you will be able to experience the texture of the paint and how it can be sort of a sculpture or form in a 2D dimension..it really is fun!

Kayla247 said...

I remember going to see Cecily's paintings last year at the MFA. I loved that exhibit some of her painting can have crude hidden characters. But something about that is exciting! I love the large scale and thick slabs of paint. That is something my oil painting teacher yells at me about. I seem to paint very lightly!!! I love how she is a female, modern, and young and already has her work being held in MFA! That is nothing but inspiring.