Saturday, November 3, 2007

progress- 2nd phase

My progress on my project has been great. I decided to represent everything between the Buddhist and the Olmec/Aztec through abstract form, but not solely through patterns I have been using. It is a 3D piece, whose measurements and content of construction symbolize the piece. I decided to use coco bolo Rosewood from the Oaxaca can area, Southern Mexico, and Pad auk wood as well as Lignum Vitae, both trees from Asia, Fruit trees. When I chose these woods to work with, it was mostly based on looks. the Cocobolo wood is a masterpiece by itself, the grain is amazing, but I quickly found out how hard of a wood it is, as well as the Lingum Vitae, fruit trees are the hardest woods there are. so working with the material has been harder than I thought. I have the pieces cut out, but now that I have gotten to this point I realize that I made a mistake by not beveling my edges first, now it will be hard to cut each individual piece. I need some help from the wood shop, maybe they can recommend something. I could use the band saw. It will take a while, but thats ok. So Im thinking that I might need more time.

No comments: